Main Menu

Two lives lost to electrocution so far this year

Radio & TV Tonga, Nuku’alofa, 21/03/2017

The second person to die from electrocution so far this year is a 23-year-old man of Holopeka, Ha’apai but resided at Havelu.

Acting Chief Superintendent of the Nuku’alofa Police Station – Tevita Vailea said, the incident happened around half past 11 yesterday.

The deceased was trying to pick a breadfruit from the tree and used a piece of metal.

It is believed he hit a high voltage power line causing his death.

His body is currently at Vaiola Hospital for a post-mortem before he is released to the family.

Meanwhile, Operation Manager of the Tonga Power Limited – Seti Chen is cautioning public to be more careful when working beside power lines because they can kill if people are not careful.

He also reminds the public to contact Tonga Power Limited in the event of an electric mishap as soon as possible to minimize hazards.

© Radio and Television Tonga News